On this page you can find introductory information about how to care for the furniture in your collection.
Dianne van der Reyden and Don Williams for the Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and Education compiled this guide on a Victorian “Japan Ware” Chair.
The Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute offers plenty of advice on furniture in your collection. Useful pages include:
- Furniture Care and Handling
- Fundamental Construction Techniques for Furniture & Wooden Objects
- Biological Deterioration & Damage to Furniture & Wooden Objects
- Preserving and Restoring Furniture Coatings
- Moving, Packing, and Shipping Furniture
- Guidelines for Taking Wood Samples for Objects of Antiquity.
This video will teach you about the case furniture in your collection: