This is the page where you can find introductory information about how to care for the furniture in your museum collection.
The Smithsonian’s Museum Conservation Institute created this 16-page manual Furniture Care and Handling. It includes information on such topics as light damage and proper ways to clean and polish furniture in your collection.
The Hammond-Harwood House and City of Bowie Museums Collector’s Corner Workshop Series provides a resource on Furniture Cleaning and Care which addresses the tools and techniques of furniture cleaning.
This video from the Winterthur Museum details how to handle furniture and other wooden objects.
The Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute offers plenty of advice on furniture in your collection. Useful pages include:
- Furniture Care and Handling
- Fundamental Construction Techniques for Furniture & Wooden Objects
- Biological Deterioration & Damage to Furniture & Wooden Objects
- Preserving and Restoring Furniture Coatings
- Moving, Packing, and Shipping Furniture
- Guidelines for Taking Wood Samples for Objects of Antiquity.
This video will teach you about the case furniture in your collection: