The COVID-19 pandemic has introduced new challenges to providing visitors a fulfilling museum experience. Here you will find resources for small museums and historic sites to serve their visitors during COVID-19. This section contains Safety Procedures and Digital Outreach resources.
COVID-19 Resources Main Page | | This page was last updated December 2022
Here are resources on safety considerations when reopening your institution, including establishing and maintaining social distancing policies.
- American Alliance of Museums: Preparing for closures or re-closures
Considerations for reopening and re-closures as COVID-19 continues to affect staffing. Guide to managing collections, developing communication plans and managing remote work with additional links embedded.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association: Reopening: Guidance for Museums and Collecting Institutions
Comprehensive guide to reopening your institution from the American Industrial Hygiene Association, with particular emphasis on small and mid-sized museums.
- American Alliance of Museums: Reviewing Staff and Administrative Policies
Strategies for employers and preparing staff.
- Re-imagining Museums in a Pandemic: New Governance For a Living, Open and Sustainable Museum – Based on a case study, this article outlines how to modify museum management during a pandemic. Strategies for employers and preparing staff.
- National Park Service: Podcast 101: Running a Small Museum during the Pandemic – Discussion on managing staff and museum collections. Includes a discussion on communication with the public and their involvement in the museum.
Reaching a Digital Audience
Even though the pandemic is having less of an effect on institutional operations, fluctuations in staffing and outbreaks, are changing how institution’s interact with the public. A primary concern you might have at this time is how your institution can sustain a relationship with its public. A digital presence can help maintain and build audiences while you navigate re-opening and re-closures. Below you can find a list of resources that will help you navigate social media platforms and earn income through digital content. Please see our Digital Strategy and Content page for further information, tips, and support!