The COVID-19 pandemic has introduced new challenges to providing visitors a fulfilling museum experience. Here you will find resources for small museums and historic sites to serve their visitors during COVID-19. This section contains Safety Procedures and Digital Outreach resources.
COVID-19 Resources Main Page | | This page was last updated December 2020
Here are resources on safety considerations when reopening your institution, including establishing and maintaining social distancing policies.
- American Alliance of Museums – Preparing to Reopen
Considerations for reopening, including developing a plan, training staff, and setting up health and safety measures with additional links embedded.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association – Reopening: Guidance for Museums and Collecting Institutions
Comprehensive guide to reopening your institution from the American Industrial Hygiene Association, with particular emphasis on small and mid-sized museums.
- American Alliance of Museums – Reviewing Staff and Administrative Policies
Strategies for employers and preparing staff.
- Artnet – How Should a Museum Reopen in a Post-COVID World?
Compiled and condensed information for reopening with an interactive reopening planning tool that is broadly applicable for different types of museums.
Reaching a Digital Audience
A primary concern you might have at this time is how your institution can sustain a relationship with its publics. A digital presence can help maintain and build audiences while you determine whether to reopen or remain closed to in-person visits. Below you can find a list of resources that will help you navigate social media platforms and earn income through digital content.
Navigating Social Media Platforms
- Museum Association of New York – How to Use Your Social Media During the COVID-19 Pandemic
A museum and historic site primer for those new to social media and a digital audience.
- The Space’s Online Audiences Toolkit
Extensive guide to online audiences. Provides answers to legal and financial questions that your institution might face.
Earning Income through Digital Content
Links providing guidance on online event programming, including opportunities to monetize digital content:
- American Alliance of Museums – How Museums Can Generate Revenue Through Digital Content and Virtual Experiences
- American Alliance of Museums – Earning Income From Education Programs During COVID-19
Making Digital Content Accessible
Links providing guidance for creating a digital presence that is accessible: