Care and upkeep of collections remain important during the COVID-19 pandemic. This section contains resources for the care and usage of collections, and practices adapted to the new cleaning policies and procedures under COVID-19. You will also find the use of collections in [digital outreach]. It is divided into three sections: Cleaning & Collections Care, Online Collections, and Building & Grounds Maintenance Care.
COVID-19 Resources Main Page | | This page was last updated December 2020
Cleaning & Collections Care
There are new challenges and concerns in collections care. Find resources below to guide you in caring for your collection while also maintaining proper COVID-19 cleaning procedures.
- REALM Project – Research
Results of tests performed by a consortium of the OCLC and IMLS on the viability of the COVID-19 on typical library, archive, and museum surfaces over time.
- NCPTT – COVID-19 Basics
Basic overview of best practices for disinfecting cultural spaces and collections:
- Canadian Conservation Institute – Caring for Heritage Collections during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Cleaning and handling procedures for heritage collections.
- American Libraries – How to Sanitize Collections in a Pandemic
Best practices for cleaning and safety with library collections during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Cleaning Museum Spaces
- MNHS Historic/Adjunct Properties – Workplace Enhanced Cleaning Guidance for COVID-19
How to care for historic buildings and museum spaces.
- Association for Library Service to Children – Best Practices for Cleaning Play and Learn Spaces
Sanitizing practices for institutions with play-places and hands-on children’s areas
While many institutions remain closed or at limited capacity, museums should still strive to connect with their audience digitally.
- Digital Archives
Making collections available online, with options for social distancing at the site.
- Digital Technology
An overview of digital technology with links to several resources.
- Social Media
A guide to social media as a museum or historic site.
Building & Grounds Maintenance Care
Find information below on how to care for and sanitize your outdoor spaces, with resources for institutions with gardens and animal collections.
- National Park Service Harpers Ferry Center – COVID-19 Exhibitry Cleaning Guidance
Guidelines on cleaning outdoor artifacts and interpretive elements.
- American Public Gardens Association – COVID-19: Resources for Gardens
General guidance of safety procedures for institutions with gardens.
- Canadian Conservation Institute – Closing a Museum for the Winter
Preparing buildings and collections for winter closures.
- Association of Zoos & Aquariums – COVID-19: Information for Zoos and Aquariums
Recommended practices for zoos, aquariums, and managed wildlife facilities in COVID-19 conditions.
- California Department of Public Health – COVID-19 Industry Guidance: Outdoor Museums and Galleries
Reopening outdoor museums and outdoor spaces.
- CDC – Guidance for Administrators in Parks and Recreational Facilities
Guidance for operating and maintaining outdoor spaces, such as parks and trails.